Wednesday 27 February 2013

Blossom has left the building.

Blossom was my last remaining pet. If you've been reading my blog or know me, you would know that I have always had animals in my life.
Litters of Golden Retrievers, assorted ponies, puppies and pussies, poultry, goldfish, hermit crabs, bunnies, guinea pigs and white mice. Anything my kids and I could talk the bloke into letting us keep including my much missed Otto the Wondercat.
Today I took Blossom to his new home. He has been adopted by friends who have promised never to eat him............at 7 years of age, he'd be pretty tough!
He now has some quacky roommates to keep him company. The new abode has lots of chooks, ducks and geese.
There are shady trees, green grass and even a few snails. What more could a duck want?
Well, maybe a fully automatic waterfall to refresh his duckpond daily! He's got that too.

We are now totally pet free for the first time in my life!

Unless you count Dot the guineafowl. I'm not sure he is my pet tho'.

My nextdoor neighbour and I shared a clutch of 10 baby Guineas, called Keets a few years ago, nine of them disappeared in the first year, eaten by foxes, feral cats and Wedge tailed eagles until only Dot remained........we dont know which of us owned him because they all looked alike.

Then the neighbours sold their house and Dot didn't make the move.

Is he mine or the new neighbour's?




Dot and Blossom were great friends but now there is only Dot, he ranges over quite a distance each day, sleeping in a tall tree at my place but spending time in the chook yard next door as well as enjoying dust baths with Blossom. Sometimes he visits other neighbours searching for juicy bugs, no one can catch him and I really think he is his own man...or bird!

I'll enjoy seeing Dot around and I'll put out wheat for him sometimes but at least i don't need to book a pet feeder when I go to Quilt Retreat tomorrow.

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

OH! I cannot imagine a life with out my 4 legged friends.. even when they are driving me MAD!! Enjoy your time away x

Maria said...

I am sure Blossom will be in duck heaven at his new home....

Anita said...

Hi Sue,
Blossom will be loving the new home with all those friends to quack with. I don't have guinea fowl but I believe they're one of the best guard dogs you can have!!! lol.
Cheers, Anita.